UCU Strike Teachout programme
What does an alternative university look like?
Informal sessions on the topic of the day at the picket lines around 10:00am in the morning will be followed by more structured sessions online in the afternoon, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m.
Zoom 2:00pm Teachout link:
Meeting ID: 821 1137 9716
Each topic will result in a number of concrete proposals, which will be introduced in the final public teach out session at the Portland Steps on 1 March at 12 noon.
14 February – Reflecting on Democratic Governance:
- Des Freedman: The Gold Paper: Governance, Power and the Idea of a Democratic University.
- Tony Padilla and Thomas Sotiriou: Democratising Senate!
- Potential solidarity input from the Netherlands!
15 February – What does pedagogy look like in a democratic university?
- Howard Stevenson: Pedagogy Guiding Principles.
18 February –
- Sharon Clancy: Raymond Williams and participatory democracy.
21 February –
- Lopa Leach and Anna Meier: What is decolonising practice in a democratic university, how can systems of oppression be dismantled?
22 February –
- Emma Birkett: Tackling climate change.
28 February – The role of the democratic university within wider society.
- Chris Taylor: Who is complicit? The Arms Trade, Hostile Environment, and the University.
- Gertjan Lucas: ‘The Science’ does not exist.
1 March – Teach out on the Portland Steps at 12 noon